Auto dealers and salespeople who posed as private online sellers in Philadelphia and its suburbs are being held accountable for violating consumer protection laws and deceptive advertising said Attorney General Josh Shapiro.
The 12 legal actions, part of an advertising sweep in Philadelphia and southeast Pennsylvania, targeted dealers and salespeople who advertised vehicles for sale on Craigslist without telling potential buyers the automobiles were being sold by a dealer, as required by state law. Some vehicles were also advertised as “fully loaded,” which is also a violation of state law.
“Consumers have a right to know from whom they are purchasing their vehicles,” Attorney General Josh Shapiro said. “Buying a vehicle is a significant investment of time and money and consumers who turn to private sellers do it because they want to save a little of both. They deserve a smooth transition and to be treated fairly, which means knowing all of the material aspects of a deal, especially if they are buying from a dealer.”
The investigations conducted by Attorney General Shapiro’s Bureau of Consumer Protection targeted car dealers advertising in Craigslist in its “for sale by owner” section. The Office of Attorney General found these violations in more than 70 vehicle advertisements to Pennsylvania consumers.
The following businesses are subject to settlement agreements in the form of assurances of voluntary compliance, or AVC, and have agreed not to deceptively advertise their vehicles:
- Millevoi Bros. Auto Sales Inc. and Mark Millevoi (Philadelphia County)
- Brabus Auto Inc. and Dmytro Uliganets (Philadelphia County)
- ICars Inc. and Paulius Lazinskas (Philadelphia County)
- Kauska Inc. d/b/a 3 R’s Used Cars and Yehoda Solomon (Philadelphia County)
- VJ Quality Automotive and Vasyl Prokopchuk (Delaware County)
- Ada Phila LLC d/b/a Carmen Auto Group and Murat Gonul (Philadelphia County),
- John Banchi (Bucks County), and
- Speedy Inc. d/b/a Direct Auto Sales and Michael Brody (Montgomery County)
The Office also filed lawsuits against the following dealerships and salespeople:
- A & T Trucks Inc., Timofey Skylarsky and Aliaksandr Mirski (Philadelphia County)
- Gerald’s 1stclass Autosalon LLC and Gerald Clarkson Jr. (Bucks County)
- Fourth Street Auto Sales Group Inc. and Sydney Thomas (Philadelphia County)
- Don Devore (Philadelphia County)