The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) sent a letter to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security asking them to consider extending the October 1, 2020 REAL ID enforcement deadline.
Out of an abundance of caution and to help control the number of customers in its facilities, PennDOT suspended the issuance of REAL ID driver licenses and photo ID cards at all PennDOT Driver License Centers in the following counties until no sooner than March 28:
- Montgomery County
- Philadelphia County
- Chester County
- Delaware County
- Berks County
- Bucks County
- Lancaster County
- Lehigh County
The significant increase of customer volume in the Driver License Centers obtaining a REAL ID product potentially impacts the health and safety of both staff and customers. Reducing in-person transactions will mitigate the potential of COVID-19 transmission.
PennDOT is also implementing the following operational changes in response to Governor Wolf’s mitigation guidance regarding COVID-19.
All Driver License Centers and Photo License Centers in Delaware County will be closed for two weeks effective close of business on Friday, March 13.
The following locations will be closed and reopen no sooner than Saturday, March 28, 2020:
- Granite Run Driver/Photo License Center, Granite Run Mall, 1097 W. Baltimore Ave., Media;
- Clifton Heights Photo License Center, AAA Mid-Atlantic, 5233 W. Baltimore Ave, Clifton Heights; and
- Upper Chichester Photo License Center, Stony Pond Plaza, 481 Conchester Highway (Route 322), Aston.
These closures are in addition to those announced in Montgomery County on March 12.
Additionally, expiration dates for driver licenses, identification cards, vehicle registrations and safety and emission inspections will be extended for residents of Delaware County:
- Driver licenses and photo ID cards for Montgomery and Delaware County residents that have an expiration date for driver licenses and identification cards scheduled to expire on or before March 31, 2020, the expiration date is now extended until April 30, 2020.
- Vehicle registrations, safety inspections and emissions inspections scheduled to expire between March 14 and March 31, 2020, the expiration date is now extended until April 30, 2020.
These extensions are in addition to those announced in Montgomery County on March 13.
Additionally, out of an abundance of caution and to help control the number of customers in its facilities, PennDOT is suspending the issuance of REAL ID driver licenses and photo ID cards at all PennDOT Driver License Centers in the following counties until no sooner than March 28:
- Montgomery County;
- Philadelphia County;
- Chester County;
- Delaware County;
- Berks County;
- Bucks County;
- Lancaster County; and
- Lehigh County.
With the exception of Montgomery and Delaware counties, customers will be able to obtain all other services at these locations.
All PennDOT rest areas and welcome centers in Montgomery and Delaware Counties will be closed to the public effective midnight Monday, March 16.